Friday, April 28, 2017

Hems, corsets, progress.

I finished the corset!  There really was just about two hours left in that project.



...Oh.

Okay, hang on, it's not as bad as it looks.  I mean, it fits as badly as it looks like it does, but this was the mockup.  And one of the risks of making a functional mockup is that you sometimes end up with a finished corset that doesn't actually fit.

I'm trying to work out a system for sizing corsets when there's only one pattern given (as is usually the case when the pattern was taken from an extant item).  I used that method here, and clearly got things wrong.  Looking at my pattern vs. the "real" pattern may help me figure out *what* went wrong, but unfortunately, this project has been sitting around for two-ish years, and I don't actually REMEMBER what I was thinking when I drafted my pattern.  So it's not even useful as a learning experience.

Well, okay, it still is.  The lesson is not to let experiments sit for two years without documentation.

Good news: I have more of the fabric.
Further good news: I have many friends, surely this will fit one of them. 

Onward.
Hey, another corset done.  This one just needed binding.  Bam.  Done.


Look at that miter!  Perfect!  One day, I'll do a tutorial.  Today is not that day.
 And hey, it's kind of a cute shape!

Right.
Next!

Linen 14th Century man's cote, for the spouse.  This time last year, this cote only needed hems (fronts, bottom, cuffs) and buttonholes and buttons.  Now it's just cuffs and buttons/holes.

Making progress, one project at a time.  Or sometimes two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, that's better

This is my third completed tesseract.  The second wasn't particularly successful, and not really worth talking about right now. There ar...