Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Needlekind Strife Specibus needle case, part 2

A little over a year ago, I outlined my plans for a knitting needle case.

When I sat down and tried to design it, though, I hit a major case of decision paralysis.  How big, exactly, should it be? How big, exactly, should the pockets be? None of it mattered in the grand scheme of things, but I actually had to pick *something,* repeatedly.  Every pocket needed dimensions. Every needle slot, the placement of each elastic, everything had to go somewhere, and because none of it mattered, none of it went anywhere.  I was stuck.

A few weeks ago, I found a small-scale 3-ring binder, and decided to build my needle case around it.  Suddenly, I had a constraint, and suddenly everything else was easy. Well, the first few steps are, anyway.  The big thing is that by using a binder with rings, if my inner pages don't work out, it'll be simple to improve them and swap them out.  No longer bound by the need for everything to be perfect and perfectly planned, I was able to start.




Now, the tricky bit was always going to be the accessory pockets, designed to look like a captcha card.  In the world of Homestuck, a character's possessions are stored on Captchalogue cards.

 How great would it be to have little pouches with clear vinyl windows and white backgrounds, so that the item inside the pouch showed up?

pretty damn great

 There's a zipper along the left, a gusset on the bottom, and all layers are stitched down on the top and right-hand sides.

Step-by-step tutorial to follow.

Oh, and incidentally, the pink vinyl I had on hand happens to be hilariously reflective.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, that's better

This is my third completed tesseract.  The second wasn't particularly successful, and not really worth talking about right now. There ar...