Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Strife Specibus: Needlekind

Here's where I make an embarrassing confession.

I'm a Homestuck fan.

If you're not familiar, the only real way to understand is to follow that link up there and wade in, but be warned: it's really long, really confusing, and you may or may not enjoy it at all.  In brief, it's a webcomic about some kids who play a game.

One element of the game is that each player has a weapon type (the Strife Specibus) which is contained on a deck of cards.  One of the specibi mentioned in the comic is needlekind: knitting needles, generally (but not always) used in pairs, generally (but not always) used to perform magic.

After seeing a file folder on Pinterest that someone had transformed into a Paperkind specibus, I was consumed with the idea of making a case for all of my sock-related knitting needles.

This is a problem in two parts: The inside, and the outside.
 The outside is tricky, because if it doesn't look right, it won't *be* right, and while I'm not likely to run into anybody who'd know, I'd know.  If my strife specibus were an image in a webcomic or video game, it would look something like this:

I need to tweak the assorted needle images to make them all equally pixelated.
I'm still working on how, exactly, this is going to work.  A friend has a kickass embroidery machine, so once I work it into the correct file format, a combination of machine embroidery and piecing or applique is likely.  I considered one of those opaque iron-on transfers, but they tend not to be quite as crisp as I require, and also not as durable as I'd like.  Anyway, still thinking.

The inside is a little easier, since there are countless knitting needle case tutorials all over the internet, and while none of them are exactly what I want, several of them are close enough that it doesn't matter.  I'll mostly be following this one, though of course giving it the jagged corner.

I know I'll need lots and lots of slots for small double-pointed needles.  My shortest ones are 4 inches, and the longest ones I'd want in this set are 7 inches.  They vary in size from 0000 (1.25mm?) to 4 (3.5mm), with most of them being in the 2-2.5mm range. I have as many as 6 of some sets and as few as 3 in others.  I have some very wide elastic, and I'm thinking of using it to make the slots: it'll be forgiving of variations in quantity and diameter, and hold the needles firmly.  For width of the slots, I have the very first roll-up case I ever made, where I agonized over slot size and more or less like how it came out.  I know I will want some way of marking needle size permanently, but haven't figured out exactly how that's going to work.  At least one page of my "book" will be these.

I know I'll need some pouches for circular needles.  I currently have circulars in three sizes, but might want to have room for a fourth?  One page, front and back, should be sufficient.

The insides of the covers of the book should be pouches for notions, maybe including a piece of felt to receive sewing needles (which are occasionally also needed in knitting).  If I am terribly clever, these will echo the shape of chaptchalog cards, not unlike this captchalog wallet:

and now that I've thought of it, I'm going to have to do it, aren't I?
 I'll want to have: stitch markers, a tape measure, scissors, maybe a large pattern pocket?  All with white backing and clear vinyl so the items in question are clearly visible. (Slightly refined plan: zipper down the long side, shorter short side and shorter long side stitched down, gusset in longer short side for access)


Anyway.  I still have some things to refine: Size and placements of pockets and pouches. Colors, where colors matter.  Materials throughout.  But overall, I have a pretty good idea of how this thing is going to take shape.

now to just DO it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, that's better

This is my third completed tesseract.  The second wasn't particularly successful, and not really worth talking about right now. There ar...