Saturday, March 5, 2016

Variations on corset boning

There aren't many extant corsets from the 16th Century, but one of the surviving fragments uses very fine reeds, like broom straw, as boning.  Consequently, many reenactors have made corsets using broom straw, usually to good effect.

But I've got this idea.

See, I picked up this set of place mats to use for felt-making; they were at the thrift store and cheaper and larger than sushi mats.  Upon closer examination, they seem to be woven with a cotton warp and a broom straw weft.  Now, when I make a renaissance corset, I usually angle the boning channels to follow the contours of the corset, which usually results in a roughly fan-shaped arrangement, from the bottom edge to the top.  But if you look at the effigy corset, the boning channels are parallel within their panels.

So.  I'm going to take my place mats, cut them in the shapes of my corset panels, bind the edges, and have....an extremely breathable, summer-weight, boning-only corset? 

Seems worth a shot.

And now that I've said it, I'll actually do it.

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, that's better

This is my third completed tesseract.  The second wasn't particularly successful, and not really worth talking about right now. There ar...