Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Well, that got out of hand

Continuing my theme of "let's make late-period garb that doesn't suck to wear in hot weather, outdoors!" (what, you didn't know that was a theme?), I've been working on a new gown from this lovely, light, airy, summer-weight wool, in a pale smokey purple.


But it's kind of a problematic color: too pale to be interesting to a renaissance eye, so it needs *something* to add interest.  Some contrasting-but-coordinating bands on the skirt perhaps.


Okay, nice, but a little matchy-matchy interior decoratorish.  Well, it's a place to start, why don't I go to the fabric store and see what I can find in terms of accessories.

A hat! Of course I'll make a hat, and I'll need feathers to trim it.


Yes, lovely.  Not something they would have done (bleach a perfectly good peacock feather? Never!) but very pretty and matches the color well.


Ooh, even better!  Yes, this is good.  And I have fabrics to match!


But do you see that shot of green?  WAIT.  I HAVE JUST THE THING!

YES!  THE EMERALD/FUCHSIA IRIDESCENT SILK IS AWESOME...for my simple, washed-out gown.



Charcoal.  Charcoal guards on a palest purple gown will be just fine.

I do think I'm on to something, with the plumage and the silks.  Just not for *this* project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, that's better

This is my third completed tesseract.  The second wasn't particularly successful, and not really worth talking about right now. There ar...