Friday, October 23, 2015

Starry Night part 1

While buying replacement wool for my abortive handwoven medieval gown project, I also picked up two cones of this, in Starry Night (a deep blue) and a light variegated grey.

Each cone holds about 3800 yards.
The last thing I wove at 40 ends per inch came out nicely; this yarn is slightly thicker, and if I use my 12 dent reed and thread three ends per dent, I should end up with a nice fabric with 36 ends per inch.

I think I'd have more useful fabric if I weave at 22 or 24 inches wide, SO:

22 inches times 36 ends per inch = 792 ends.
3800 yards divided by 792 = 4.79 yards, maximum warp length, of which about 4 yards will be usable fabric.

So I will wind a 4 yard, 28 inch warp, about 800 ends.  (I think I'm going to do a color-and-weave pattern, so I can't just wind one cone until it runs out, I do actually have to count and keep track.)

I was originally thinking of a pinwheel pattern, because I like them, and because it would fit with the "starry night" theme I think I've got going on.  But I've done it before, and where's the fun in that?

An undulating twill would work well in silver and blue:


This pattern looks fun:



Ah, got it:




It's a regularized, eight-shaft version of a 16th century structure.  

And it is a solid-colored warp, so I can just wind (at slightly under 5 yards long) until I run out of thread.  Yay!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, that's better

This is my third completed tesseract.  The second wasn't particularly successful, and not really worth talking about right now. There ar...