Monday, December 1, 2014

Dickens Fair part one

Every year, a friend of mine attends Dickens Fair.  Now that I live in the vicinity, I'll be joining her this year.  Problem? I've got nothing to wear.

Planning a dress for the fair was surprisingly difficult, because it turns out I sort of hate early Victorian costume.* And while there really aren't standards, especially for guests, I just couldn't fake it.

The costume guidelines suggest focusing on the period between 1842 and 1863.

Extant dresses/inspirations


c. 1845 FIT P88.25.3
 Solid color, fan front, Unusually wide neckline, short sleeves.

c. 1849 FIT P86.37.1
Solid color, fan front, piped waistline, cartridge-pleated skirt



c. 1848-50   V&A T.797&A-1913
Fan front, modest pagoda sleeve, wretched print

Other design elements:
  • There's a corset in Corsets and Crinolines that's from the 1840's and looks easy to throw together, and probably comfortable to wear.  
  • I'll probably use the chemise from one of the Simplicity Victorian corset patterns I've accumulated, probably in some of that white linen that's taking up so much space in my fabric closet.
  • I'll need little false sleeve wristlets for under the pagoda sleeve.  Probably also linen.
  • What fabric? No, really, WHAT FABRIC?  I don't want to buy anything for this, if I can avoid it.
  • Petticoats: 1845 is a little early for cage crinolines, but I have the blue brocade petticoat from my Elizabethan kit which will add some bulk and may be enough to produce a bell-like skirt.
  • I'm realizing I don't care enough about shoes to wear anything particularly special.
  • Bonnet. Must have a bonnet.  The fair is supposed to be the streets of London. If I'm "outdoors," I need a hat.
Finding links for this post, I am reminded that the Simplicity pattern includes pantlets, which reminded me that I'd briefly considered whipping up a Bloomer costume for this.



*  I hate it because I don't know it well enough to love it.  But it's not "my" period, and it's just all weird and unflattering.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, that's better

This is my third completed tesseract.  The second wasn't particularly successful, and not really worth talking about right now. There ar...